This is a simple tomato soup, which makes a great starter or a meal in itself.
What you need:
- A large knob of butter
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 can peeled Italian plum tomatoes, or ripe in season tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 small potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves or2 tsp. dried basil1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- 250ml milk or cream
Melt butter in a soup pot over low heat. Add the onion, carrot and garlic.
Cook, covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and wilted. Crush tomatoes in their liquid and add to the pot along with the chicken broth, potato, basil, nutmeg and salt. Cook, covered, over low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool to room temperature. Puree in a blender, in small batches, adding a bit of milk/cream to each batch. Return to soup pot and adjust seasoning. Before serving, warm through over very low heat. Do not boil. Serves 6.
Such a simple and delicious soup. Use the best, freshest ingredients you can find and this should warm you up on a cold winters day.