Another Simple Christmas Turkey Roast Dinner Recipe
by Burgermeister | December 22, 2006 2:38 pm
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 lbs ready-to-cook weight)
- 2 tsp. salt
- Melted fat
- If the turkey is frozen, thaw according to package instructions
- Set out a shallow roast pan with rack
- Clean turkey (cut off neck at the body leaving only the skin) by rinsing and draining the body and patting it dry with paper towels.
- Prepare your stuffing
- Rub turkey cavity with salt
- Lightly fill the body and neck cavities with stuffing
- Close turkey body by sewing, lacing, or skewering. Fasten the neck skin of the turkey to the turkey’s back with a skewer. Tie the drumsticks to the tail. Bring the wing tips onto the back of the turkey.
- Brush the skin thoroughly with melted fat.
- Place turkey on the rack inside the roasting pan with the breast-side down
- Place a roast meat thermometer in the centre of the inside thigh muscle. When done the meat thermometer should register 100 Celcius.
- Place a fat-moistened cheesecloth over top and sides of turkey. Keep the cloth moist during roasting by occasionally brushing with fat from the bottom of the pan.
- Roast uncovered at 170 Celsius for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until the turkey is done (the thickest part of the drumstick feels soft when pressed with your fingers – protect fingers with a cloth or napkin when testing).
- Remove the turkey from the oven.
- Remove the meat thermometer and keep the turkey hot until served.
- Allow 20 minutes of standing time before serving (this makes it easier to carve the turkey and allows time for any last minute preparations
- Remove and cords or skewers and serve on a heated platter
Source URL: http://www.burgermeister.co.uk/another-simple-christmas-turkey-roast-dinner-recipe
Copyright ©2017 Burgermeister unless otherwise noted.